Monday, April 28, 2014

Hair Mask Update

I've been wanting to update you on my most recent experimental mask and now is a good a time as any.  This time I completely made up my own instead of someone else's recipe.

Notes: I didn't measure out the ingredients at the time, so they could differ and depending on your hair you may want to make some of your own changes.  I left this in for about 40 minutes but had planned one to two hours.  It worked how I wanted but I feel an extra hour or two wouldn't have hurt.  This is a "hot oil" treatment so it works best warmed up in the microwave.

Coconut oil... 1 tbsp.
Coconut milk... 2 tbsp.
Olive oil... 2 1/2-3 tbsp.
Honey... 1tbsp.
Lemon extract or lemon juice... a few drops to 1/2-1 teaspoon
Vegetable shortening... 1 tbsp.
Cinnamon... 1-2 teaspoon

PROS
  • Smells delicious
  • Soft silky hair
  • Lasts longer than just a hot oil treatments (with out adding other stuff)
CONS
  • I used too much shortening and it was hard to shampoo out
  • Created a weighted down look on the bottom half of my hair, strangely not the top though, I suspect this could easily be fixed by adding less shortening next time

No comments:

Post a Comment