Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Artist's Block

Lately I've been having artist's block.  I can't seem to get any of my ideas down on paper.  So, thought I'd write a post on how to overcome artist's block.

Artist's block is different for everyone and being different not all of these techniques may work for you.  One might if you're lucky.

  • Try taking a break
    • This almost always works for me, although a break can last for a few minutes or a few months depending on different factors.  This is not the technique for someone on a time constraint.
  • Draw something unrelated
    • Now, this technique almost never works for me but I thought it was worth mentioning.  Try using a different medium.  If you were using pencils try pastels or paint.
  • Listen to some music
    • I always listen to music while drawing, it's good for inspiration.  Music choice is not important just listen to what you enjoy.  I will make one remark though, don't always listen to the same thing. Try branching out.  Listen to something new every once in a while.  
  • Meditation
    • Any type of calming exercise will work.  Taking a few deep breaths or practicing Tai Chi in the mornings.  Just relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment