Sunday, April 28, 2013

Baby Finches!!

Zeus and Hera had a baby!  Well, technically they had several but only one is still alive.  I'm freaking out!  After so many failures it is truly uplifting to see him/her in the nest.  This time I took of the bottom part of their cage off and laid down a soft towel with some newspaper on top so the baby would survive if they end up kicking it out (as they have done in the past).  I also made sure they had fresh millet and apple slices (I'm boiling them an egg too).  If it ends up abandoned I do have baby bird food.  I'm not looking forward to feeding it every two hours, but I will if it comes down to it.

At this point, the only thing I'm worried about is the wheezing-half-whistle type of noise I occasionally here coming from the nest.  I'm hoping it's just the baby asking for food.  Though it occurs to me that it could just be the parents regurgitating food.

Here's a pic of an unhatched egg for size comparison

No comments:

Post a Comment